Four killed and Many Injured As Kaduna Crisis Escalates


According to a report from Guardian, about four people have been killed and many injured in a recent crisis that started in Kaduna on Sunday.

Below is the full report:

NO fewer than four persons were reportedly killed and many others wounded as the violence that erupted on Sunday in Kachia town in Kaduna State escalated Monday.

   The state government had imposed a 24-hour curfew to arrest the communal clash that followed a dispute over the location of Muslim worship ground, but that move failed to curb the crisis yesterday.

   Chairman of Kachia local council, Mr. Peter Agaite, said the crisis has claimed four people, though the state Police Public Relations Officer, Aminu Lawan (DSP), said there was no causalities in the crises.

   According to Agaite, two of the victims were coming back from their places of business when they were ambushed by hoodlums, while the other two were said to have been shot and killed by the security men on patrol for violating the curfew.

   “I can confirm to you that four bodies have already been recovered in the aftermath of the crises that engulfed Kachia town,” he said. “The two bodies were identified as neighbours, who were coming from their places of business but were attacked by hoodlums, while the other two were said to have been shot while trying to loot a shop in the town by the security agents.

   “The first two dead bodies were found in Gumel while the other was found in the shopping mall inside the town. I cannot tell you that is all the causalities, but these were the ones that we were able to recover.”

   Agaite said that Kachia town was calm and that security personnel from the Nigerian Police, Army and Civil Defence Corps were enforcing the 24-hour patrol in the town to ensure the return of peace.

   However, he refuted the allegation that he was quizzed by security agencies, admitting, rather, that he had a meeting with security agents, which lasted for several hours, and that “we all came out with a roadmap to enforce the curfew.”

   “As I speak with you, I am together with the Garrison Commander and Police Area Commander in the same patrol vehicle going round the town,” he said. “Some people who sustained injuries have been taken to different hospitals for treatment.

   “The 24-hour curfew is still in place, nobody should jeopardize their lives by coming out of their houses or roaming the streets as security personnel are all over the place. I beg my people to please allow peace to reign as the government is doing everything to address their grievances.”